Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 45: #wellsmission



This is one of those humbling, chastening, miraculous, exhausting, fantastic, and interesting weeks that dragged on for a long time and has brought about a lot of change, both outside of and within ourselves.

Friday we got a text from our zone leaders at 3:00pm that said "Hey can you Sisters move at 9 tonight?" 

I freaked out. It was the cherry on top of a very large pile of whipped cream that week that made it all topple over. Second meltdown of my mission: check. 

I love this area with all my heart. I am so grateful for the trials and the lessons and the change of heart that has happened to me these past several months. I loved my first area because it was easy to love. I love this area even moreso because of the fight it's required to truly love this area and these people. I am so excited for these next weeks here, for the challenges and the growth that Heavenly Father still has in store for each of us. The people here are amazing. I love them so much! 

I have been slightly discouraged with my health the past few weeks. I ended up with a bad head cold this weekend once I thought I'd completely recovered from the dehydration of the weeks before. The Lord asks us to give our best, and I'd been feeling that I just couldn't give more because nothing was there to begin with. I have been really striving to be more strictly obedient, more focused on the people, and really giving back to Him every ounce of what He gives me each morning. I had several humbling experiences this week with various people essentially telling me I didn't know enough, I wasn't good enough, and that I hadn't given enough. Essentially, the past few weeks have left me with a bit of a shock to my personal self-worth.

Sunday night we had a family home evening with a family that we've been helping to come back to church. The mom shared with us as we were eating dinner how the timing of when we came, the messages we had been sharing, and even something as simple a song we sang in a lesson had confirmed the fact that she needed to come back to church. She and her husband are on track to be sealed in the temple next May now, and they are all on board with that plan. She still has questions, but she remembers why she joined the church, and she feels the need to be back active in living the gospel. She had no idea, but I needed to hear that. 

I know our Heavenly Father is in charge of this work. I know I am not perfect. But I know that He will give me His strength and guidance in all things. I know He is aware of each one of us and exactly what we need. He knew I needed someone to tell me that what I was doing was worth every single second of rejection, criticism, and struggle. Seeing someone choose to follow Christ and to let His love into his or her life makes every moment of my mission worth being here. I love this gospel! I love this work! I love these people more than words can say. I will forever be grateful for that experience, and for her following the Spirit to share that with us.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is just as much for YOU as it is for the person sitting next you. It's just as much for the missionaries as it is for who they teach. Our Father in Heaven loves each of us, and He wants to help and bless us all. We simply must do what He asks of us - to keep His commandments and give our very best while relying on His help.

I was reminded this week of a quote "Life is hard. Not the gospel." At first, these commandments may seem burdensome, or perhaps even ridiculous. But when we start living them in faith, Heavenly Father can then pour out his blessings upon us. We come to learn that the gospel actually makes our lives easier, more fulfilling, and we experience true joy as we gain the guidance and strength of heaven in our lives.

Well, the rest of it all is basically funny quotes:
"He tore his ACL and MCL and his MC Hammer, and you just couldn't touch this." Bro. Ballen
"But she got it right so she won a hug." -Kara
"What happens at the end of the Book of Mormon?" "Jesus comes in and saves the day!"
While wearing my "Everyday is game day" BYU t-shirt "Everyday is SUNDAY." -Sister Lwin
I love you all. The gospel is true! God lives, and He is in charge! I love this work. Miracles do happen as we act in faith!

Love,
Sister Holbrook

to finish the moving story, we switched apartments with the Spanish Elders in our stake because of a housing situation in the Liberty Stake for the missionaries serving there. The excitement of our lives :)


I've got some U of U spirit in me :) That one's for you Dad!

Everything the light touches is our kingdom. I love our area. This is the view from the retirement building across the street from us.

WE MOVED!!! Us with Sister Pearson and Sister Tranchina who ended up staying the night to help us out with things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.