Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 44: Trust in the Lord

Transfer results are in (get ready for the biggest shock ever):
We're staying in the Wells Stake IN THE SAME TRIO!!

We were not too happy when we found out. We have been ridiculously busy with appointments and checking on the people we already know about. We have had no time to include member visits, contacting referrals, finding new people, etc. It's been nuts. We were all convinced that they would split the stake again simply because we have too much to do and not enough member support to be able to do it all. 

But after a nice talk with President Hansen, we're sticking to it. This transfer will be a refiner's fire. The three of us have become best friends, but we'll be pushing ourselves to our limits this transfer. There will be a refining and improving in our teaching skills, in planning, in working with members, in following the Spirit, in every aspect of our work. Especially planning. I'm excited for the trials that lie ahead to see how we all grow!

Julie. We had an amazing experience where Julie's "dad" came up to us at sacrament meeting last Sunday and said that Julie wanted to be baptized and that they were okay with it!! We had a lesson with her on Friday and asked her why she wanted to be baptized. She said, "This is the church I really want to go to, and I believe in Jesus Christ." I love the pure and simple testimony of these children. I love that they recognize the light that comes from living the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love their desire to obey Him and do His will, no matter what their parents say or think about it.

Member Missionary Work. I've pondered a lot about what makes a member an awesome member missionary recently. I also started a list in the back of my study journal of ways I want to be a more effective missionary when I do ultimately return from this time in SLC. Here are some ideas that I thought I'd share with all of you:
  • Be a good neighbor. Introduce yourself and invite people over.
  • Set aside time to spend on missionary work, whether it's an appointment with the missionaries or having a visit with someone or doing family history work. Put it in the schedule.
  • Recognize my role as a member is to testify of a principle, not to teach.
  • Study Preach My Gospel at least once a week.
  • Set goals and make plans page 146 Preach My Gospel.
  • Seek for Heavenly Father's help. Ask about specific people or specific actions to take. 
  • Send encouraging texts to the missionaries :)
  • Have a personal/family mission plan that we actually follow-through on.
  • Offer to help in little things. Sit with an investigator at church. Call someone to follow-up on their Book of Mormon reading. Send a text to someone going through a hard time.
  • Find opportunities to testify of Christ and our Heavenly Father's love.
  • Provide opportunities to help others and myself attend the temple.
Page 162 in Preach My Gospel also has great suggestions. This list has come as I've been interacting with so many different members in so many different teaching situations. The principles remain the same. When we seek Heavenly Father's help and guidance in fulfilling our responsibility to share the gospel, He will help us!

Family history. This Sunday was just as crazy as the last one I described. Except I got called on to teach and play piano last minute in several places. Oh how I love Sundays :) So we had an awesome discussion about family history... How are you all doing on that by the way? Dad shared an awesome experience in his email - thank you! Family history is an incredible way for us to invite the Spirit into our homes and help us to feel of our Heavenly Father's love for His children.

Atonement. This week, I finished reading The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister. I know the Atonement of Jesus Christ was done for us. I know our Savior, Jesus Christ lives! He loves us perfectly. He understands us perfectly. He wants to help and lift us. I know our Heavenly Father's plan is perfect. I know that it is only through Jesus Christ that we can become clean and ultimately perfect so that we may live with our Father in Heaven again one day. I know it is possible to repent. I know Christ wants to help; He wants to bless us! Through righteous choices and continually building our faith, we can access that help. I know that as we keep our covenants, we invite the power of the Atonement into our lives to help us become far better than we could become on our own. I love my Savior. I love my Father in Heaven. I know that you can know these things for yourself, too! Pray. Ask Heavenly Father if it is true. I know it, and I know He will answer.

I love you all! Remember to smile! Heavenly Father loves each one of us, and He will not let us fail. Miracles happen as we continually act in faith.

Love,
Sister Holbrook

Doctrine & Covenants 68:3-6

These training videos are absolutely incredible. Learn and live Preach My Gospel and the scriptures.


Quilting with Sister Larsen! Oh, how I love her. I am officially her adopted granddaughter.

The kids at one of the apartment complexes always come out and join whatever lesson we happen to be having. The kids here are Kyla, Savannah, Julie (who's going to be baptized on August 23rd!), Sister Lwin, Sister BanaƱa, little girl whose name I don't know, and Ayden. Oh and I'm the one the kids are all hanging on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.