Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 15: Happy Always; Content Never!

There have been a lot of emotions and a lot has been going on this past week. I'm pretty much exhausted, and I'm running on a basically empty fuel tank right now. It's amazing how the Spirit helps carry you, quite literally.
I just love being a missionary! I really really do.
I'm just super tired today.

 
Mostly this week has been a very humbling experience. Last Monday, I found out that I would be a trainer this next transfer. Which meant Tuesday morning, I cleaned up the place, helped Sister Horseherder and Sister LeSueur pack, and then headed off to the transfer building! We had an amazing meeting with President Hansen and the assistants about being an effective trainer, the importance of the 12 week program, and just a million other things. Then I found out who my knew missionary was:

 
Sister Juarez from Orange County, California! She was baptized a year and a half ago, loves the gospel, and already adores the area. She picks up on things so quickly and easily, and she was totally prepared in our lessons this week. I absolutely adore her! She is quick to smile and laugh, and we are having a good time together :)

 
There is so much I need to improve on. Sister LeSueur set the course for my mission, and I know that as Sister Juarez's trainer, I'll be setting the course for her mission as well. Kind of a big responsibility if you think about it. 

 
I have definitely been praying a whole lot this past week. Prayer works. 

 
This past week I have had some really amazing study sessions about various topics. The Book of Mormon is amazing. Nephi is one of my heroes! Study meekness, healing, and prayer in the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary.

 
The hymns are also scripture to me. As we sing them before our companionship study, the Spirit is present, and we are able to stay focused... for the most part :) I love hymn #141, 151, and #45. The 2nd verse of hymn 45 says: 
Father, all my heart I give thee;
All my service shall be thine.
Guide me as I search in weakness;
Let thy loving light be mine

 
I love that song. Hadn't heard it until Sunday when we sang it in two different sacrament meetings.

 
Poor Sister Juarez was roped into speaking in sacrament meeting on her first Sunday in the field. She did an incredible job! The members here are reaching out and loving and inviting people, and we are seeing miracles because of it. I love the people here with all my heart, and frankly I would love to stay here for the rest of my mission. Our talks went well, though! We recapped some points from stake conference, went over a few ideas for what we can do to work with the missionaries (see page 162 in Preach My Gospel) and how our ultimate goal is to see people in the temple. 

 
"Faith can move mountains, but you better bring a shovel." Faith requires ACTION!!

 
Watch this incredibly powerful Mormon Message. Heavenly Father and our Savior are always with us, especially as we turn to them in faith.

 
This truly is our Heavenly Father's work. There is no way I would be where I am now without his constant help and guidance. There is no way Sister Juarez would be able to come the incredible missionary Heavenly Father has planned for her to become if she was just relying on me. When we turn to Him, pray in faith, and go out and work, miracles happen. The Spirit teaches, the love of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are present, and faith increases. 

 
I love this gospel. I know it to be true. I know the Book of Mormon is true and that by reading it we can draw closer to God. I love being a missionary, and I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Even the super hard days when you're completely exhausted. Every single bit is worth it to see the gospel change the hearts of others. The Atonement is real, and through Christ we can accomplish anything and everything, be healed, and become like our Heavenly Father.

 
Stay amazing. Keep smiling. Expect miracles.

 
I love you all!

 
Love,
Sister Holbrook

 
The beautiful Bountiful temple 

My desk/personal study area 

Sister Juarez, the best new missionary ever, and myself


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.