Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Week 47: Little Moments

I was talking with Sister Fletcher (a member who helped us out with some appointments) this week about how our testimonies came. We both agreed that we came to know the gospel was true, the Book of Mormon was true, that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and so on through little moments where the Spirit spoke to us and told us in our hearts that this work is right.

I love those little moments where I have been able to feel of my Heavenly Father's love. I know this is His gospel. His plan is perfect. I know we can all return to live with Him one day as we live according to the commandments He has given to us. 

Fun fact: We are serving in the ward where President Monson served as Bishop over 85 widows. There are still about that many in that ward. 

Follow-up. I know you all are sick of Preach My Gospel, but guess what? Elder Ballard in the last Conference asked every member to have a copy and to start studying it and sharing with missionaries what they've learned from it. So here I am following up - how are you doing on that? I am so grateful for Preach My Gospel and for the inspired patterns it contains not just for now but for the rest of my life! For example, the follow-up section on page 200 is incredible.

We've become so much better this week at being diligent in our following-up with members, leaders, and the people we teach about commitments, lessons, and assignments. It's amazing to see how their trust in you grows, and how they come to recognize the importance of this gospel as we give our all to help them live it.

Jackie showed up at the Jefferson ward last Sunday, and we were able to meet with her this past week. It was an incredible lesson. She is so prepared to receive the message of the restored gospel! Sister BanaƱa was able to commit her to baptism right there in the first lesson for later in September :) Jackie is so excited, and it was a huge testimony builder for all three of us that the Lord does prepare people to hear the message of His gospel. 

Julie was baptized this week! Despite all the stress and troubles of getting to that point, Julie was determined to make this commitment to Heavenly Father to do His will. She has been an amazing example to her family and friends in a rough area. She loves her Savior, Jesus Christ. She reads her Book of Mormon every day. She just loves living the gospel and recognizes the blessings that come from it. I love her so much, and I am so blessed to have been able to be a part of helping her receive the blessings that come from the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Ally is getting baptized later this month!!! We got to meet up with her this weekend. Again, a testimony builder to me that Heavenly Father is aware of His children and places trials and experiences in their lives to prepare them to receive His gospel. Ally basically bore her testimony to us of how living the gospel - reading her scriptures and praying every day, coming to church, building her faith, repenting, and preparing to be baptized - has brought her so much joy! She wants her family to accept the gospel, too, so they can also experience the joy. I loved seeing the light of Christ shine through her face - she is an incredible example and friend to me. I am so grateful that I was able to find her and have some tiny part in helping her follow Jesus Christ.

Funny story of the week:
We got a text from our zone leaders on Thursday asking if anyone had 3x-large baptism suits. We checked our supply and were able to find two, so we let them borrow the suits with the promise they'd bring them back on Saturday after the baptism. They checked the size of the suits - big enough to drown my tallest, largest friend - and left to go save the Elders who needed the suit. We got a call from them Friday night asking if they could bring the suits back in the morning. We thought the baptism had been cancelled, but it turns out the 3x baptism suit was too small. They ended up having to go buy a 5x-large from the church distribution center. Craziness in coordinating and helping with all of that. 

Maybe that wasn't funny... here's an inspirational quote for you instead.

"If you ever dig yourself a hole that's too deep for you to get out of, call me. We've got plenty of shovels." -Bishop Carling

I love you all! The gospel is true! Miracles happen!! As we pray and fast and ask in faith, Heavenly Father does bless us and answer our prayers. 

Love,
Sister Holbrook

Watch this Book of Mormon story. Best quote: "I want this book to fill the world!"


Julie was baptized this week!!! It was so amazing. Her faith and her example to her family blows me away. She is so excited to continue to follow Jesus Christ her whole life.

The Woodward family - Bro. Woodward was the first ward mission leader I met in this area, and we were able to help him get excited about missionary work again. We found out this week that they are moving (where the Lord needs them) THIS WEEK. So sad to say goodbye, but thankfully, I now have awesome kids to babysit next summer ;)

Beautiful Salt Lake. I love this city so much.

With Sister Platero, the best Primary President in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.