Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Week 38: The people, the miracles, and transfers

The results are in and..... I'M STAYING IN WELLS!!!
I'll have more information on my new companion next week. I think she's been out six weeks so I'll be finishing her training. Her name appears to be Sister BanaƱa. It's going to be amazing.

You want to know the best part of this story, though?
The only person leaving from our stake is Sister Tucker. And she's whitewashing with another sister who she was in the MTC with. IN BOUNTIFUL. 
The other five of us missionaries 

Oh the excitement of transfers. 

"Change is part of the doctrine of Christ." -Sister Banks
As we repent, we overcome the "But that's just who I am" and become "That's who my Heavenly Father wants me to be." I love the process of repentance and becoming more like our Savior and Father in Heaven! What an incredible blessing to be able to apply the Atonement in our lives!

Also you all should look at page 40 of the July Ensign because those are some dear sisters from this wonderful mission! Love them all. And it's a great article. 

Moral of this week: drink at least 10 water bottles a day if you want to be a fully functioning missionary in the heat and no air conditioning. 

My family (aka parents) wants to know about how my Sunday was. Get ready for the half-craziness of being 

Ally is doing amazing!! We had a Temple Square lesson with her on Saturday about following the prophet and the importance of family history work and eternal families. I love Temple Square. The Spirit is so strong there. Ally basically bore her testimony of every single principle we taught her. She accepts and soaks up everything. She is so prepared to be an active member of the Church and to let the gospel bless her life! I love her so much! It was kind of sad, because we had to pass her on to the YSA Elders that day. But we're still keeping in touch and will definitely be at her baptism in a few weeks!

Shando is a nine-year-old boy the Elders were teaching before we got here and we were finally able to get in to their house! We had a powerful lesson at the church building with them on Friday. We had them sit in the very front row right in front of the sacrament table. We then talked about the importance of coming to Church and why we need take the sacrament. They all were able to feel the Spirit testify to them of Christ and His Atonement. It was an amazing experience, and I hope to use the church building more with our investigators.

Sister Ash is a member who I was visiting with one Sunday before Relief Society started. She asked us to stop by, so we thought we would just get to know her and share the first lesson and see if she knew anyone in the area. As we started visiting, it turns out she has some real concerns with her faith. We shared the first lesson - the basic principles of the gospel - and bore our testimonies that this gospel is true. We invited her to read the Book of Mormon every day, and so far, she has been doing it.

That visit had me thinking for a while - how many of us keep the outward commitments that we need to, but inside we doubt and question and don't really know? I know we can receive those answers for ourselves if we are willing to put forth the effort and ask our Heavenly Father. He will answer our prayers. He is always there. I know the gospel is true because I have asked for myself. I invite each one of you who may be struggling in your faith to pick up the Book of Mormon, read and study, and then ask God if it's true. Believe that He will answer you. 

Our choices define our destiny. We can choose to act or be acted upon. It frustrates me when people we're working with blame all these outside circumstances on their inability to come to church, to read the scriptures, or even to pray. There are some circumstances that merit the excuse, but when those excuses become the norm, that's when it becomes a problem and faith begins to decrease. I promise that if we choose to make those things the priority in our lives, we will see our faith grow and strengthen until it cannot be shaken. Helaman 5:12

Funny moments:
We had a great visit with two activity day girls this week. The quote of the week comes from them: "Why is your face so pretty?" and "Is your car prettier than you?"

Sister Bill and I may have re-enacted all three High School Musicals for Sister Lwin... It was pretty fantastic. "In the movie, she doesn't fall." Good times :)

Also one of our Relief Society presidents made caramel popcorn and it was SO GOOD. Mom, yours is better, but it was still a wonderful treat that I have missed.

1 Nephi 1:20 - Tender mercy of the week: Bro Arnold invited us to the youth's last camp night that was at the church building because of rain. We came, and they gave us literally ALL of the leftover food. Which was amazing because we had just run out of food in our fridge. 

Basically, this week was a testimony builder of the promises in Doctrine & Covenants 84:80-88. And you should all read verses 76-80. SO POWERFUL. The section about "Follow the Prophet" in lesson 4 of Preach My Gospel is pretty amazing, too. 

I love you all! The gospel is true! Life is absolutely amazing. I love this work. I love being a missionary and serving with all that I have. I love this area and these people. I love my Heavenly Father and Savior. I know They live and love us!! I know that as we turn to Him, He will lead and guide us in all we need.

Remember to smile and expect miracles!

Love,
Sister Holbrook

Mosiah 14/Isaiah 53 is one of my all-time favorite chapters.


Our last visit together to 7/11 - a Saturday night post-correlation tradition.

Elder and Sister Larsen, my mission grandparents. They have helped us so much with some of our investigators! They will finish their mission in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.