Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Week 32 (WHAT?!): Transfers and Long Weeks

The results are in and...... duh duh duh....

we're all staying!!!

Sister Bill will be greenie-breaking (having a companion who just finished her 12 Weeks of training) and me and Sister Tucker will move back upstairs!
Sad. But at least we're all still together!!!

Mom's synopsis of our skype conversation (was that really only a week ago?!) was fantastic. Thanks for all the laughs! I love you all more than you know!

Like mom mentioned, I don't really have time to get discouraged. Yes we have our bad days, but it doesn't take away from the joy of being involved in the work of our Heavenly Father. In Preach My Gospel page 11, it says, "When you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself. You can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when you feel the Spirit working through you." When I give my best every single day, I can sleep well and still be joyful in being here, because I know that this is the Lord's work and no greater joy can come than through His Atonement. 

I love Alma 26:16: "Therefore, let us glory, yea we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice for our joy is full; yea we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Perhaps that's why emailing is so stressful - there is no way to put into words each week the miracles, joy, and experiences that I am blessed to be a part of every single day. 

I love being a missionary! I love my Heavenly Father! I love my Savior, Jesus Christ! I know that through His Atonement we can become clean and whole. I love the restored gospel of Jesus Christ - the full gospel that is the way we can return to our Heavenly Father. I love being led by the Spirit every single day as I strive to give my best. Who can glory too much in that?

Studies this week have included an intense study of chapter 2 in Preach My Gospel, "Effective Study." Not only does this apply to mission life, but the principles contained (in this and every single page of PMG) apply to improving our study in all things! Praying, practicing, and evaluating are key in any kind of study. The Spirit can help us remember all those things that we need in the moment we need them, if we are prepared. 

This was one of those weeks where everyone and their dog cancelled on us. But did that get us down? Nope. We spent a lot of companionship study this week practicing teaching and inviting people to be baptized. We focused on teaching the lessons, particularly the Restoration, simply and according to the person's needs. We're still working on getting our lesson times down to even shorter (people like to talk a lot when we ask questions), but as we practice we are becoming even better!

We found a new investigator this week - Sherry - from one of our recent converts. She has been through so much in her life, and now she just wants to experience happiness in this life. She loves the Church, and though she doesn't know everything yet, she has a great desire to be baptized! We are so excited to see yet another miracle in the Lord's work - He sent her here so she could find the gospel. That's literally what happens every day in Salt Lake. The people we teach are almost always brought here by the hand of God so they can find the joy and peace of the gospel. There is no other explanation.

This transfer, I have several key goals for myself, but one of them is to really master the art of planning. To really think about these souls, our brothers and sisters, we get to help come closer to the Savior. To use my time more effectively. To be focused on the work. To become more exactly obedient. Lots of things. So mom, this transfer, I'm becoming a master planner :) You should be excited ;)

Alma 37:33-34 is a fantastic scripture that is now one of my all-time favorites.
Hymn 279 verse 3 is pretty great, too.
This talk by Elder Ballard is incredible.

Thank you all for your prayers, fantastic letters and packages, and continual love and willingness to share the gospel with all around you! I know that this gospel, the gospel of Jesus Christ, is the only source of true happiness in this life and in eternity. I know that as we seek to obey His will and do those simple, daily things that He has asked us to do, we will find blessings poured out upon us. 

I love this work! I love these people! I love you all :)
Remember to smile and expect miracles!

Love,
Sister Holbrook the Older

Pictures:
Companionship picture at Temple Square!!
Our district at the Utah capitol building (seriously, what other district in the world gets to do that?). back row - Elders Espinal, Flores, Carillo, Unklesbay, Whittle, and Farias
front row - Sisters Taylor, Bill, me, Pearson, and Tucker



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.