Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Week 10: Room for Improvement

We all took turns being sick this week which means not a whole lot of lessons. But that's ok!! It just means that we are feeling better today and will see great miracles this week!! (I thought I was getting bronchitis and the mission doc sent me to transplant to check me out. But I'm a whole lot better today, just still a little tired. We have all been switching off our sick days, but we can still do splits since Sis George is always home and the other two can go out. I am the tallest one in the companionship which is super weird haha.)
 
We have several goals this week: add one new investigator, visit all the recent converts, and get over twenty lessons!! Heavenly Father's got this.
 
Lots of letters this week!! Thank you all so much!! CONGRATS Lindee and Calvin!!! You're super cute and I'm so excited for you :) Sis. Barrus thanks for all the cute notes!! And thanks to Aunt Christine, the Chapman fam, and Elder Watkins for your notes!
 
Quote of the week: "I'm so excited! I love doing weird things!" Love my trainer :)
 
So this week I wanted to spend this time telling you all about some of the more spiritual aspects of life and about some of the wonderful people in this area.
 
We found out yesterday that our wonderful stake president and his wife have been called to preside over a spanish-speaking mission starting next July!! I am so excited for them - sad to be losing such an incredible man, but so thrilled for the missionaries he gets to work with. They are receiving some of the best people ever.
 
We have been trying to reach out to Tia, our investigator who committed to be baptized, but she has a really strange work schedule which makes meeting with her difficult. She is so excited, though! She won't be baptized on Christmas day, but she still wants to work towards baptism soon!! She is so prepared and so willing to do anything Heavenly Father asks of her. We just adore her.
 
The Book of Mormon is seriously amazing. And I just love the war chapters in Alma (which we're going to start calling 2nd Alma, by the way.) because of the spiritual applications that are everywhere throughout the stories!! Alma's words of counsel to his sons is seriously amazing. You all should study that.
 
Revelation 12:11 "And they aovercame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their btestimony; and they loved not their lives unto thecdeath."
What a powerful verse of scripture. This is how we will overcome Satan in our day!! 
 
On Wednesday we had our mission Christmas party and Elder Summerhays of the Seventy came to speak to us. He shared that scripture (which I LOVE) and it was just amazing to listen to him teach by the Spirit. My favorite thing that he said though was this: "Lift up your head and be of good cheer - it's Christmas again!" Sister LeSueur and I had been discussing earlier that day how every single day feels like Christmas and Sunday all at once and it is just the best. And then Elder Summerhays said that, and it is SO TRUE. Every single day is a special day for one of God's children, and it's an even better day when we get to go serve and reach out to all of them! I LOVE this work!
 
Funny story: I was leading the music for this meeting, and we walked in super late (which is like 4 minutes before the meeting starts) all because the docs took forever to come tell me I was fine. Good times. (President Hansen and Elder Hansen (one of the assistants) gave me a blessing last week before I went to see the docs. So I'm good :) )
 
"Any excuse, no matter how valid, always weakens the character." -Spencer W. Kimball. LOVE this quote so much!
 
I love you all so much! I love this gospel with all my heart, and I love being a missionary. I love this Christmas season and the time we have to celebrate Christ's birth. Let us remember the true meaning of Christmas and reach out to those around us at this wonderful time of year!
 
I love you all! Keep smiling!
 
Love,
Sister Holbrook
 
 
By the way, Cousins she mentions are from the Holbrook side - John Holbrook settled Bountiful so there are lots of cousins.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.