Monday, November 11, 2013

Week 5: Plan, Pray, Pass Out

I figured out why Mondays are set aside for P-day. 
Sundays are crazy. And we're all so exhausted by the end of the day, we can't even think for planning the next day. Therefore, Monday is P-day. 

This week's General Authority: Sister Linda S. Reeves. She is AMAZING. I was able to talk with her for a few minutes and she gave me the biggest hug. Love her. Go read her talk from the last Relief Society Meeting. What an incredible woman!

We discovered the 7 P's of a Missionary's Night: Pray, Plan, Pray, Prep, Pray, Pray, Pass Out. Repeat every single night over the course of an hour. It's the greatest.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who sent me letters this week:
Jeff and Carly's family, every single member of my family, Elder Watkins, Sister Wolfgramm, Brooke C., Val D., Susan E., Grandma and Grandpa Hyde, Bro. Kitchen, Sis. Sowders, and any others that I can't remember at this moment. I am feeling very well-loved :)

No recap of the past week to share, but I have this list in my planner of random things to tell you about. Hopefully you enjoy! And can follow my scatter-brained bits :)

Primary Program's are the greatest invention of this Church. I love the testimonies of sweet little kids as they sing and stand at the microphone for the first time.

When someone's in danger, remember CPR: Church, pray, read. Back to the basics.

Great scriptures from study this week: 
Joshua 3:5, 14:8-12
Moroni 9:25-26
Helaman 5:30, 47
Alma 5... the heart transplant chapter :)
Alma 48:17-18

We had a crazy Stake Missionary Correlation meeting that lasted for 2.5 hours and left us with at least fifty people to go visit. Good stuff.

Mom - we've started singing hymns before our companion study!! Especially the Christmas ones :)

Funny quote from weekly planning: first aid equals surgery.

We have been really building our relationships with the members and the leadership this past week. It is really only through the members that missionaries can be successful in inviting others to come unto Christ. Reach out to the recent converts in your area, befriend the less-active, and love everyone all the time. Be involved with your missionaries!! It helps us so much when the members are excited to go on visits with us.

What I really want to share is something one of our Bishops shared in sacrament meeting yesterday. Challenge: do these 5 small and simple things to bring yourself and others closer to Christ as the Christmas season approaches.
1. Say your personal prayers every morning and night.
2. Read (or listen to) the Book of Mormon EVERY DAY. Even if it's just one verse.
3. Read (or listen to) the words of the latter-day prophets EVERY DAY. Go for one paragraph of a Conference talk.
4. Attend the temple as regularly as possible.
5. Do one simple act of service EVERY DAY.

I know that doing these things will bring us closer to the Savior because I have been doing them as much as possible!

I came across this AMAZING quote in my personal study the other day:
"In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike—and they will—you must remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. " - Elder Holland
WOW. That is a powerful promise right there.

That quote comes from the talk "For Times of Trouble" by Elder Holland which I recommend you all read. It comes from the story in 2 Kings 6. But especially read verses 15-17. Such an incredible promise and blessing right there.

CHALLENGE: I want all of you to accept Elder Ballard's challenge from this past conference. 
"We are not asking everyone to do everything. We are simply asking all members to pray, knowing that if every member, young and old, will reach out to just “one” between now and Christmas, millions will feel the love of the Lord Jesus Christ. And what a wonderful gift to the Savior."
I want you all to write that person's name down and pray for them every day. If you want, you can send me their name and we'll also pray for them and for YOU. Reach out to someone you love, and strive to help bring them closer to Christ. I can't think of a better Christmas gift.

I love you all so much. Continue being the the amazing people you are! Pray for missionary opportunities every day and the Lord will help you to find them. 

I know this gospel is true. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and that He loves us. I have felt of His love for me and for so many others as I have been serving. It is a remarkable blessing to be able to share that love with others. I know the Book of Mormon is true! I love that book and read it every day. I know that it has brought me closer to Christ. Read it every single day!!

Love you!

Sister Lauren Holbrook
 
 
 
I got lots of letters this week! :) 
 
Sister George (the lady I live with) is just the best. Best quote: "I love being old. I can do whatever I want!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.