Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 20: It's Christmas Again!

After another crazy Sunday, it's P-day again! Which is a little bit like Christmas according to one returned missionary we were talking to last night. 
Merry Christmas y'all :)

Guess what everyone? 
I'm sticking around in Mueller Park another six weeks :)
Heavenly Father is so good to me.
Now to get some more people ready to be baptized in April!

So I wrote down a bunch of things to share with you this week. But I wrote them down in my planner. And I don't have my planner with me... Oops. Definitely picking that up on our way to Walmart and life today.

Also: six weeks until General Conference!!! Start studying up the last one. I'm banking on a few talks about missionaries working with members :)
I am so excited!!

Jacob 4:1 I think beautifully describes missionary life. I can only write but little of my words because of the time constraints of a P-day.
#firstworldmissionaryproblems
The rest of that chapter is absolutely amazing, too.

District Meeting on Friday was absolutely amazing. I'm a slightly weird person and love these meetings. I love learning from each missionary. 
So the training for this particular district meeting was based on this video that you all should watch: https://www.lds.org/youth/video/origin?lang=eng
It is all about the application of the First Vision in our own lives. Our entire meeting was about the pattern of planning and revelation that we can find in Joseph Smith's example of seeking out an answer to his question.
Here's the pattern: desire, study and ponder, vision of what to do, goal of how to accomplish, action, and finally mission accomplished. We focused on what our desires as missionaries are, and how we can go through this pattern to accomplish those desires. 

At the center of everything within this pattern are 3 vital things: faith, love, and the Atonement. Everything we do requires faith. Every action we take as missionaries is an act of faith. We pray constantly that miracles will happen because of the things we do. Our other motivation for acting is love. When a missionary says they love their area and the people, they really mean it. Mueller Park has become my home, and I want to help these people as much as I possibly can in these next six weeks simply because I know my Heavenly Father loves them, and therefore I love them. And then there's the Atonement. Without the Atonement, there would be no purpose in going out in faith and love to serve and teach. With the Atonement, we can recognize our faults and strive to overcome them. With the Atonement, we can improve each day and see Christ truly change our hearts.

"When we choose to follow Christ, we choose to be changed... The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature... and changed men [and women] can change the world." - Ezra Taft Benson

I love my Savior. I know He lives! I know He is at the head of this Church. I know He is the only way that we can truly come closer to our Heavenly Father and ultimately become like Him. I am so grateful for His atoning sacrifice, for His love for each one of us. I know He never leaves us alone. We can always turn to the Savior, and He will always be there waiting for us.

Sunday is the craziest day in the history of each week. But I love it. I love going to sacrament meeting and hearing those inspired messages. One of our sweet Bishops spoke about the love of God for each of us. I know Heavenly Father loves us. I know He is aware of our needs. I know He is in control of every little thing, and for that I am incredibly grateful. 

"...your Heavenly Father loves you—each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. It is not changed by your talents and abilities. It is simply there. It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful.God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there. " President Thomas S. Monson

Being a missionary is an amazing blessing but even moreso is being a missionary here in the Mueller Park Stake. I am so lucky to have the privilege of interacting with these incredible people. I get to write down lots of ideas for establishing a Christ-centered home and family. (Mom most of the ideas come from you, don't worry.) Lots of thoughts on how to be an awesome member missionary. And just helping people feel loved by Heavenly Father both as a missionary and as a member. I love serving here and I cannot wait to see what miracles the Lord has in store for us next transfer :)

Update on investigators: Tia is just wonderful. She is so ready. I keep saying that because it's true! We talked about the doctrine behind baptism and confirmation with her last night, and then we set out her baptismal program!! I cannot believe it is finally here! Angela had to work late, so we have another lesson with her later this week. Autumn is preparing to be baptized on March 22nd, and we are slowly working with her family to get them to Church on a more regular basis. We are hoping to have a Temple Square tour with them later this week! 

I love you all so very much! Heavenly Father loves you even more! The gospel is true. It really truly is. I love the Holy Ghost and the inspiration and guidance he provides in my life. I am so grateful for my Savior. I love Him, and I hope to always keep Him at the center of my life. 

Expect miracles, always smile, and look for opportunities to share the gospel!

Love,
Sister Holbrook

Pictures:

I only took like 2 pictures this week, so here's one from the temple last week, too.
I love to see the temple :)

Our wonderful district. This is the best one where people (Elders...) aren't making crazy faces. Elder Raveneau, Elder Harvey, Elder Boyles, Elder Chang, Elder Crow in the back, then me, Sister Pratt, Sister Howell, Sister Juarez, Sister Alcantar, and Sister Mason. And finally... Elder Bickley up front...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful and uplifting. I would love to hear from you whether it's feedback on the blog or questions about what I'm doing.